One of my favorite television shows, Adventure Time is a wacky ride of funny characters, sometimes heart-wrenching storyline, and food. Lots of food. It’s hard to go through an episode without watching a character make a sandwich, share some spaghetti, or feed their loved one a bowl of soup.
I love basing recipes off of shows, books, and movies, so this is the first installment of my series “Eating Through The Land of Ooo” which is where Adventure Time is based. I’m hoping to eat my way through the majority of episodes, drawing inspiration from the characters’ various meals.
Our first meal takes place in “Ocarina”season 6, episode 12. Jake the dog is celebrating his pups’ birthdays, but they’re all disappointed when arrives with no presents and a small amount of macaroni salad.
Although the pups were disappointed with Jake’s beige take on this carb-centric dish, I’m sure they would have been thrilled with this recipe. I pepped it up a bit by adding heavy-hitters when it comes to flavor like salty olives, sweet roasted red peppers, and tangy pickles. The dressing, although vegan-mayo based, isn’t too heavy and allows the whole dish to be cohesive instead of a gloopy mess.
Although it’s tempting to eat it straight out of the mixing bowl, this recipe really shines when you let it fully sit overnight. Everything melds together to create a dish that you’d be proud to bring to your next birthday party.
Birthday Macaroni Salad
- 1 lbs. macaroni pasta
- 1 15.5 oz. can black olives, drained and sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped dill pickles
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions (both white and green parts)
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise (such as Vegenaise)
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- Cook macaroni according to package’s directions.
- Once cooked, drain the pasta and rinse with cold water until cool.
- Combine in a large bowl with the remaining ingredients. Mix well.
- Set in the fridge to chill and for flavors to meld for at least 3 hours, preferably overnight.